Test your knowledge
‘MISE EN BOUCHE…’ QUIZ
1. When did winemaking begin?
2. Which ancient writer wrote a treatise on viticulture?
3. The phrase ‘wine of patriots’ (‘vin du patriote’) refers to which war?
4. In which year did phylloxera first appeared in Europe?
5. Which wine-growing region does not produce the sauvignon grape variety?
6. When did the Romanée-Conti domain adopt its current name?
7. When did sparkling champagne start being sold in special bottles?
8. The Château Haut-Brion once belonged to which great landowning family?
9. What does AOC mean?
10. How many hectolitres of french wine did France export in 2019?
A. 8,000 years ago
B. 6,000 years ago
C. 4,000 years ago
C. Pliny the Elder
A. The Napoleonic Wars
B. The Franco-Prussian War
C. The First World
B. Côtes du Rhône
A. The Ségur family
B. The Rothschild family
C. The Pontac family
A. Appellation d'origine contrôlée
B. Appellation d'origine certifiée
C. Appellation d'origine communale
A. 12.5 millions
B. 14.2 millions
C. 10.6 millions